Friday, December 21, 2012

Christmas Break

'Twas the Day Before Christmas Break
 
'Twas the day before Christmas break, and all through the school,
Not a lesson plan to be written, which really was cool.
The exams had been taken and placed on student's desks with care,
In hopes that no grades would cause any despair.


Since exams were all over, there was noise and huge clatter,
Of children all brimming with excitement and chatter.
For all that they want their wondering ears to hear,
Is the last bell to ring of this current school year.
 

But before we can get to that wonderful dismissal,
I have to contain my room full of missiles.
They'll fly around the room like crazy, alright,
And I'll yell for them to get to their desks and sit tight.

 
"Jaquavious, stop talking! Chris, what on earth is the matter?
No, DJ, I don't plan on getting any fatter.
Keshonna, raise your hand and Marques, sit down,
Phew, y'all are the wildest bunch in this town."


While the kids all dream of the upcoming visit from St. Nick,
The teachers think some sleep will just do the trick.
More rapid than eagles the time needs to fly,
For these next few hours, to hurry and go by.

 
Our classroom Christmas party is full of festive gifts, drinks, and treats,
The kids are dressed all in crumbs from their head to their feet.
And then finally, in a twinkling, I hear through the 'com,
That it’s finally time for the Christmas movies to go on.
 

They are finally quiet and as the last minute gets close,
I just hold my breath, just the last little dose.
I sit waiting and counting the last seconds down,
And giving a nod, as the bell starts to sound.


I run to my car with a scream and a cheer,
The day that I thought wouldn't come is finally HERE.
And as I drive through the lot with sudden elation,
I scream, "Merry Christmas, fellow teachers, and enjoy your vacation!"
 
 
Merry Christmas and Happy Break to my teacher friends!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment